[Greenbuilding] Dessiccant Potential

Eli Talking elitalking at rockbridge.net
Sat Sep 29 09:08:47 CDT 2012

My comments in blue.

Christian Corson writes:
Buy a single ASHP and call it good. 3/4 ton will get it done. Install it yourself and save a G. $1600.00 bucks and a lifetime of heating/cooling and de-humidification.
Done and done.

An air sourced heat pump is the off the shelf predictable performance way to cool and dehumidify a house. I do speck these mini split heat pumps on houses for my clients. However, they still have the problem of using refrigerants that are never supposed to leak. With the vast amount of refrigerant cooling done, incrementally there is steady leaking going on. Also, depending on a proprietary machine such as the Mitsubishi Mr Slim Mini Split System depends on an international supply chain and dependence on a single company for support. If either of these conditions is interrupted the system suffers or fails. What I propose is a simpler technology using desiccant in a box with a humidity switch to a fan blows indoor air through between above 50%RH.

It took some concentration to work through Nick’s numbers. They are certainly thought provoking.