[Greenbuilding] Insulating 140 Year Old Wood Framed Brick Facade Building

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Thu Jun 13 19:36:47 CDT 2013

On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 20:12:58 -0400, Sam Ewbank <g.l.ewbank at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'd worry about the cellulose being packed up against the brick then
> getting wet and setting due to moisture migration.

> Another would be installing rockwool batts between the studs and then a
> rigid insulation in place of the sheething.

> The owners are planning to eventually install gypsum plaster as the
> finished wall covering.

Roxul (rock wool) Drainboard can be used in what is typically the one inch
air space behind brick veneers.

Oftentimes mortar droppings clog the air space rendering it ineffective at
its intended task so the installation of Roxul in that space eliminates
that possibility while still allowing drainage to take place. (WatJohn did
a paper on the topic when he was still a student IIRC).

If removing the wood lath and plank sheathing is an option, then
installing Roxul batts would be a very good option, I think ... especially
if the planks can be salvaged.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")