[Greenbuilding] Rustoleum NeverWet?

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Sat Jun 22 11:51:08 CDT 2013

This could be part of a bigger conversation about nano fabric coatings (nano – everything coatings). It becomes less about the chemicals used (silicone or PU or vinyl) than about particle sizes of the chemicals. Is a silicone based waterproofing material more or less toxic than the conventional polyurethanes used with gortex type coatings? The answers change when the particle size changes and that is the concern with nanotechnology. Silicone is less toxic than urethanes in terms of chemical composition but at a nano level both are identified as producing inflammatory reactions related to cancer production.  How stable are nano particles when utilized in coatings? Silica nano particles are used extensively in cosmetics