[Greenbuilding] Perceptions of Nature & Reality

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Sat May 25 16:56:06 CDT 2013

On Sat, 25 May 2013 14:41:26 -0400, Steve Satow <naturalbuilding at shaw.ca>
wrote:

> I would be interested to know which units of measurement - beyond the
> Sidereal - are based on the observation of 'natural' events (or
> phenomena)? And by natural event I mean those that have not had any form
> of human intervention?

So you're saying that all of the principles behind physics, mathematics,
chemistry, etc would not exist if hominids didn't exist ?

ie Without our species, Pythagorus' theorem would not be true, the speed
of light would not be "c" or the boiling point of water would not be 100
degC ?

The reality is that the difference between a  pre-hominid dinosaur's and
21st century scholar's perception of the natural phenomena around them is
the level of sophistication with which they are able to understand them
and communicate their observations accurately to their colleagues.

The dinosaur sees fire and says to his buddy "Run like hell, eh ?" to get
away, out of simple-minded fear.

The intelligent hominid sees fire and uses his tools of math and science
to harness it to run labour-saving devices so that he can sit back in his
man cave and watch a hockey game on his mobile device while sipping 10
year old distilled fermented grain slurry delivered in a bottle from half
a world away.

=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257
Kanata, Ontario, Canada

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")