[Greenbuilding] sustainable post and beam construction

Chris Koehn chris at koehn.com
Mon Nov 4 19:19:25 CST 2013

I too have been timber framing for over 20 years. I agree with a lot of what Ken in Whitefish says.
Moving to the west coast from the mid-west, I suggest that green and sustainable timber framing is not a one size fits all proposition. Supply of recycled timber here is spotty at best. Lately we've been using a fair bit of "forest salvage" timber: usually east slope larch, that has been beetle or fire killed and allowed to dry down on the stump to near K-D condition. This is new wood, and so costs less than recycled, and we can order the sizes we need without wasting lots in the re-sawing process or having to adjust our design to suit available timbers.
In the mid-west, the supply of recycled timber seemed greater, and costs more competitive.
As well, in the mid-west, we had access to a large variety of hard-woods suitable to timber framing- especially for clients who appreciate a mixed-species frame. It is possible to source these much more sustainably than the near omni-present clear cutting that happens here on the west coast with the limited number of soft-wood species.
Re: metal connectors- we do not prefer to use them, as the cost is far greater than a well executed mortise and tenon, except for perhaps the simplest gusset plates. We do, however, make liberal use of structural screws: a relatively new material originating mostly in Germany that has really revolutionized timber framing for many of us. Leading manufacturers are GRK, Assy, and Heco.
Having said that, we are not at all afraid to use steel where it makes sense structurally. Getting stuck in a "all wood or nothing" mindset can be counter-productive.

I am building two homes this year: one is a high end timber framed 2nd home with in-fill 2X4 walls and tons of detailing; the other is a small off-grid timber frame with "chip and slip" in Larsen trusses outside the frame. 3 guesses - 2 don't count- as to which is the more satisfying project..

Chris Koehn
TimberGuides Design & Build
Vancouver Island, BC