[Greenbuilding] On The Edge: Sustainable Housing in Canada

John Straube john at buildingsciencelabs.com
Sun Nov 10 10:59:12 CST 2013

While Darmstadt is a bit further north (4 degrees) than Wakefield (near Ottawa) and thus gets slightly fewer hours of sun, it is also a lot warmer during those dark winter hours, and hence it is actually easier to get a larger proportion of solar gain than it is in Wakefield.   HDD in Darmstadt is about 3350 (Celsius) and Ottawa is 4600 -- about 40% more heating demand.