[Greenbuilding] Drying House in Humid Season

Stephen Collette stephen at yourhealthyhouse.ca
Tue Nov 19 15:07:08 CST 2013

Hello all,

Well you could add materials that can safely and effectively take the moisture swings out of the building, by safely taking in water. The higher the material's ability to store the water, the greater the moisture reduction in the air. Clay comes to mind. Been used for a couple of years with pretty good success.

Hygric bearing capacity of building materials helps dramatically. Unfinished wood, clay, unfinished cork all have capacity to do this. These take the spikes out of the humidity and hold the water until conditions change and they are a higher potential than the surrounding environment, which they safely release the moisture back into the air. Absorption and Desorption.

I was in a 1950's condo in Florida, and there was raw cork and unfinished wood in the bathroom. 2 successive showers and you could still see in the mirror, no fog, no moisture in the air. Awesome stuff.

I hope that helps.

Stephen

Stephen Collette BBEC, LEED AP, BSSO
Your Healthy House - Indoor Environmental Testing & Building Consulting
http://www.yourhealthyhouse.ca
stephen at yourhealthyhouse.ca
705.652.5159