[Greenbuilding] Eco-Utopia and Stormwater management

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Fri Apr 4 19:23:02 CDT 2014

In theory urban stormwater management is designed for the maximum volume of
peak flow in a storm event as a sheet flow from impervious surfaces. Roof
and road runoff in a big rain basically. So a green roof with soil or even
gravel and pervious paving in parking and roadways can reduce that initial
volume significantly. Soil and plantings can retain water longer and
effectively remove some volume from the drain system. There is also benefit
in the quality of the water being discharged.

In terms of compliance these aspects work where they are recognized and
concessions are given. Seattle is an example where concession were given for
development that included commercial green roofs.