[Greenbuilding] R-value of crushed stone under slab

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Mon Dec 7 19:55:23 CST 2015

So, like, AA-man;

Clearly the universe desires to conceal anything having to do with the
letter "R" from you (noting the "R" that is missing from "No(r)bert's"
name and in the "A(r)chitecture and Education " in your sigfile and the
R-value of gravel in your search engine's capabilities and in your
tattered copy of something-or-t'other.

I just happened to have an inch-pound version of the 1985 ASHRAE Handbook
of Fundamentals  in my hand and in  23.8  Table 3A, for "Sand and gravel
or stone aggregate of 140 pcf density" it lists its thermal resistivity
(ie  R-value per inch thickness) as being:

                   (oven dried)  0.11     and   (not dried)   0.08    in
units of   h*ft^2*degF/Btu

To convert from Murrican units to SIU, mulitply by 6.934 to convert to
m*degC/W  (reduced from ( m^2 * degC) / (W*m) )

Me ? I'd be inclined to take maybe 18" of that 24" of crushed stone and
bring it inside of the thermal envelope where one can take advantage of
its thermal mass.  It'd only increase the load on top of the foam by less
than 1.5 psi  ... peanuts eh ?

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom T6015O

< A r c h i L o g i c at Y a h o o dot C a >

(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "Reply")