[Greenbuilding] Super-efficient school buildings

Jason Holstine jason at amicusgreen.com
Mon Mar 16 16:05:25 CDT 2015

Rob,

Some of the factors will depend on where you are, your climate, your
politics, and state/local funding mechanisms available. USGBC has an entire
sub-practice dedicated to schools and there are regional and national
conferences just for green schools (mid-atlantic was just a couple weeks
ago).  It doesn¹t take much googling to find case studies and practitioners.

Certainly, a wise goal is always to minimize total energy demand, and
efficient HVAC systems to best meet the forecast demand. You¹ll want to
maximize natural daylighting b/c it also has proven to improve student
achievement. As a small case, my wife is a teacher at one of the first LEED
Platinum schools, which is now Tier II (lower income), and the results are
noticeable beyond the test scores (such as attention).

One of the base arguments to make‹which you have your finger on‹is that
maximizing EE and water efficiency will reduce operating and maintenance
budget factors over decades, which is critical for school systems to free
expenditures towards curriculum. They¹ll want to set-aside some budget for
training maintenance staff on what will be new technologies to them.

HTH,

Jason Holstine

Amicus Green Building Center
³Sustain Your Space²