[Greenbuilding] friction & insulation batts

David Wentling dpwentling at ymail.com
Fri Mar 27 08:56:10 CDT 2015

Years ago I needed to install thick batts in openings. To assist me ensure the batts were square to the opening and not compressed I created a wooded knife shaped stick. I would press in one side of the batt along the long edge then swing the batt into the opening using the ‘knife’ between the batt edge and the joist or stud. The ‘knife’ allow me to reduce the friction when sliding next to the wood and provided a tool to compress the batt the full depth of the batt to ensure the back edges were square to the opening. We used unfaced fiberglass.

The wooden knife was a board about 16” long, more of a small machete, that was belt sanded to a thin rounded edge and a rounded handle for easier handling. I had to make several of the them over the renovation project and used lathe strips pulled from the house. Looked like a large wooden letter opener.

Don’t for get the PPE!

David