[Greenbuilding] heat treated wood siding

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Thu Nov 12 20:23:51 CST 2015

There was some discussion of this 'torrefaction' as a wood preservative
treatment - there were some french companies involved at the time. Flame
treating or charring and burnishing of wood surface was a traditional
Japanese exterior wood technique and I have done that on a few projects (yes
architecty/finicky) but can be done with some modern tooling and the results
are stunning. The traditional approach was burning the surface of the wood
with brazier heated irons and then laboriously burnishing the char off the
wood. The heating would affect the top 1/4" or so of the wood (similar to
torrefied) and the burnishing would polish off the sacrificial carbon
('staining') components and leave the wood with a burnished grey appearance
that are quite stable both in colour and texture. In reproducing this we
used large torches and metal and synthetic burnishing (texturing) wheels.
There are acid treatments (life time/ valhalla) that leave a similar
appearance.

Depending where you live the 'elements' will typically take close to a
century to erode a 1/4" off the surface of raw untreated wood so typically
wood doesn't need treatment if it has enough sacrificial depth. If the wood
is finished it is the finishes that need renewal - and often the finishes
trap moisture (more typical of older oil finishes - less a concern with
breathable).

What the burning or acid treatments do is give a natural and neutral aged
grey finish to wood buildings that otherwise would take quite a while to
achieve that. After all it took me over 50 years to get that appearance.