[Greenbuilding] replacement window discussion

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Wed Sep 23 13:33:39 CDT 2015

one reason good old-timey windows (and old woodwork in general) have lasted
so long is because of the lead paint they were coated with. I confronted
this issue some time ago, in a house built in the early 1920's. delicate
muntins, wavy glass, uh huh, but goo-gobs of paint, and barely operable.

So I pulled out all the sashes and slathered on coat after coat of stripper
(selecting the product with the most dire warning), not only on the sashes,
but also in the tracks. I got things pretty close to bare wood, and then
primed and reassembled everything.

and Lo!, after sliding a sash up and down a few times, I could still turn
the lead test swab pink, from dust accumulating on the stool. The test kits
don't tell you how intense the contamination is, and I doubt if it was
highly significant. But instead being able to claim a lead-free result, I
had to disclose the presence of lead, however miniscule it was.

the point being, there are issues beyond energy efficiency at stake here.

-aa

Alan Abrams

*certified professional building designer, AIBDcertified passive house
consultant, PHIUS*
*certified passive house builder, PHIUS*
cell     202-437-8583
alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
HELICON WORKS *Achitecture and Education*
<http://www.heliconworks.com/index2.html>