[Greenbuilding] Rehhabing a Garage

Lynelle Hamilton lynelle at lahamilton.com
Mon Aug 15 19:09:49 CDT 2016

Hi All,

I've a 24x32 foot garage that I hope to rehabilitate. Structure is
sound, concrete floor and 2x4 construction.  Roof leaks a bit and will
be replaced with steel, as will the soffit and fascia. As well, the
insulation is older fibreglass, ceiling and walls and has been wet so
will also be replaced with Roxul (walls) and loose fill (looking for
recommendations). I'll reuse the panelling that is currently on it,
after rewiring.Windows will also be replaced, as will both garage doors.
I hope to use it as a workshop and possibly living space when I add/reno
the house.

The exterior is the issue.  It's, gently speaking, crappy board and
batten....looks like the board could even be plywood. Some batten is
already off and supports the plywood notion.

My questions: What to do about a drainage plane and insulation on the
exterior.  My thought is Roxul rigid, then engineered wood of some sort
(I am on the water), but wanted to pick the brains of the experts here
first.

What say ye all?

Many thanks!

Lynelle