[Greenbuilding] Best attic stairs

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Tue Mar 1 13:30:54 CST 2016

Wild Blll-bob Christensen wrote:
-(with a 14 year old boy in our house, we get more than enough
of that ( borborygmi) as it is)

- partially hip roof with ~2' high gable ends means moving the access
outdoors is not practical in this case.
Huh.

I had no clue (ie clueless) that my namesake (sort of)  was 14 already.
Wow.

Gobsmacknedness aside,  moving the attic access to the outside is still
the best option, from a thermal and air-seal continuity perspective ... or
more accurately, from a Northern latitudes MooseHugger perspective.

Perhaps it might be an interesting Honourable Father/Young Offspring
project to hack-open a big hole in the hip roof and build a dormer to
accommodate an opening that would function as an attic access . Perhaps it
could also be designed to include equator-facing glass, perhaps just to
provide daylighting to an otherwise dark space for those occasions when
you are crawling around up there.

Or perhaps more ambitiously, that glassed enclosure might be designed to
also accomodate a batch heater for DHW.  And perhaps Number One Son might
get ambititous and think ... "Hey! I could make a great Teen Cave up here."

What 14 yr-old boy wouldn't love hacking a big hole into their parents'
roof  with their parents' full blessing ?

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom T6015O

< A r c h i L o g i c at Y a h o o dot C a >

(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "Reply")