[Greenbuilding] roof venting

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 12:09:55 CST 2017

I've just been reading a bunch about this general subject, in documents
suggested by folks here on this list, and the conclusion I came to was that
above R30 (I think that was the figure), and with careful attention to air
sealing, ventilation can safely be omitted. Now in my case I'm separating
the rafters supporting the roof sheathing (2x6) from the 2x4 purlins to
which the sheet rock is going to be attached, creating a thermal break that
your design only approximates, but someone here can surely speak to how
much those I joists conduct heat and the degree to which that impacts your
overall R-value.