[Greenbuilding] roof venting

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Sat Jan 21 15:55:21 CST 2017

Clarke;

I trust that you would do a competent job of air-sealing and building a
good roof but $#!+ happens and  water  in all of its forms is amazing in
its ability circumvent/overcome humans' efforts to exclude it from their
structures.

Low slope, unventilated  I-joist  roof in a heating climate in snow
country ?   I'd say that's like playing Russian Roulette with five bullets
in the magazine of a six-shooter.

One scenario that could throw a curveball into the good intentions:
-- large accumulation of wet snow on the roof during an unusual weather
event causing excessive deflection in the relatively skinny  I-joists
stressing the painted taped joints in the drywall compromising the
integrity of the interior air barrier. Same snowfall results in ice dams
and or ponding subjecting the roof cladding to conditions that it was
never intended to deal with.

That's just one possible scenario leading to moisture intrusion into the
framing cavity jammed full of Roxul.    The Roxul would be fine...
eventually...  once the moisture drains out of it and gets cooked off  ...
but the gumboard webs of the I-joists and gumboard roof sheathing would
likely be an unholy mess of black flakes in time.

As that wonderful woman Meryl Streep once shouted out , after she and her
two co-stars had belted out some disco-era tunes while the movie credits
were rolling "YOU WANT MORE ??!!!"

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom T6015O

< A r c h i L o g i c at Y a h o o dot C a >

(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "Reply")