[Greenbuilding] To Vent or Not To Vent? That is the Roof Question

Lynelle Hamilton lynelle at lahamilton.com
Sun Nov 5 09:17:25 CST 2017

Again, I tap the expertise of this list.

I've read ++articles on venting vs not venting a roof.  This is my
situation:

Shed roof.  High side is pretty much south facing; low side is north
facing.Pitch is 4/12.  Roof is standing seam steel, light grey in
colour, on strapping over ply. House is Durisol, 1940sq ft.

18" truss depth at the minimum.There is a cross member at the high side
of the truss approx 2 feet down as well (giving me a 9ft ceiling on the
south side of the upper level.

Climate is standard mid-Ontario (e.g. cold climate). We often have
extreme NW winds (off the lake) that will hit the low side of the roof.
Haven't seen Toto or Mary Poppins fly by yet, but would not be surprised
if one or both did at some point.We get lake effect rain, snow and wind.
When it rains, the rain usually pelts from the N-NW.

I can take extreme care to seal the living envelope to minimize air
leakage to the roof, but am uncertain as to whether or not to vent the
roof. I have thought of the following:

2" closed cell foam under trusses/underside of roof decking, then
balance of cavity with cellulose, using blocking or batts to prevent
settling at the low end. This should give me an R65 at the min. depth,
more in the dropped areas in the upper bedrooms.

Amy advice on this is much appreciated.

Lynelle

---