[Greenbuilding] 2020 - covid

Sacie Lambertson sacie.lambertson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 10:56:09 CDT 2020

Ran into John's 'how are you doing' note when I was looking for something
else.  I no longer communicate on this list, not because I'm uninterested,
rather because we're finally pretty well out of the building business.
That said, I found this list wonderfully helpful back when.  And now, when
I do check in, I still see familiar names.

We sold the wonderful house we built in the country; that project was built
when I was active on the list.  Twenty years ago??  To replace it,
we bought an 1883 house in town, which we gutted and redid.  We anticipate
this will be our 'last' house.  Given our ages, a judicious decision. The
local paper did a piece about it recently.  It is fairly energy efficient,
certainly it is well insulated and more importantly, as tight as
affordable.  (We didn't take off the original clapboard to build out the
walls, for instance, (that would have added *big* bucks), but we did extend
the interior perimeter walls).

https://www2.ljworld.com/news/general-news/2020/mar/23/couple-furnishes-final-home-with-diverse-decorations-from-their-life-abroad/

We configured it so if we could no longer climb the long stairs (18 steps)
we could live on the lower floor.  Either that or get one of those things
that mount on stairs.  (It is designed for a small caretaker's apt upstairs
too).  We're within walking distance of a fairly vivid downtown, ie a few
blocks.  It's dead now, but eventually it will come to life.

Here in Kansas the building trades are considered 'essential'; talking to
several, they tell me, while things have slowed considerably, at least no
one is laid off.

Best to all.  Communication with this group was super back in the days when
this was our life.

Cheers, Sacie