[Greenbuilding] Dry or DriCoreR+ for basement

John Straube jfstraube at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jan 25 07:58:03 CST 2021

Hi Lynelle,
I know Wasaga Beach well.
The DryCore product idea is a good one, BUT it does not add much insulation. Your standards are a bit higher I think than R-2.
Hence, the approach shown in the cool example retrofit Norbert provided a link is is more appropriate, IF you have an additional 1 or 2" or headroom
That approach would be low vapor permeance foam (such as EPS, R4/inch XPS R5/inch or even polyiso R6/inch) all available at local supply stores in Ontario. 1" of polyiso will be three times the insulating
Then a vapor AND airtight layer on top. This is often easiest achieved reliably by taping the joints in the foam.
Then you can put a floating floor of T&G OSB direct on top (some use glue in the grooves to joint the system together) leaving 1/2" or so around the perimeter and penetrations to accommodate movement. Then flooring.
Or especially if on a budget and limited height, add rolled dimple sheet (like System Platon or Delta Dry), tape the joints, and direct apply click flooring over the thin underlay.

[cid:EF1A1590-0A8F-4711-BD7A-5778F42EBC2D][cid:2432C644-64BA-4C3E-AE81-B21BA7475ACD]