[Digestion] High costs of biogass plants in Norway

Jean-Luc Sallustro jean-luc.sallustro at eventure-international.com
Sat Dec 4 00:28:07 CST 2010

Hi all,

Footprint and insulation are two parameters we also have to take into
account in Mauritius. Footprint is of utmost importance, generally
speaking in small island development states (SIDS) land shall be devoted
to crops or buildings, thus energy making processes requiring an
extensive area are not convenient although of a low technology ... In
tropical SIDS, mainly poor or emergent countries, with a high dependency
to  fuel importation, the problem is not to insulate tanks within AD
plants but to increase as far as possible the energetic productivity of
digested organic material, because of a limited amount. Therefore we are
working on compact, thermophilic and auto thermal plants.
One of our very simple findings is that a significant part of kcal
needed to heat or sustain the thermophilic phase can easily be produced
with thermal solar panels set on the roof of tanks. One another
technological track  we are following is to differentiate the primary
hydrolysis phase at a mesophilic stage with increased HDT, from the
acidogenic, acetoclastic  to methanogenic phase (all in one) at
thermophilic conditions. This way of thinking is linked to the fact that
considering the few organic input we have to deal with, co-digestion
seems necessary and leads us to experiment some "strange" blendings ...
I will be interested to share on this, even if related to non tropical
contexts !
Sheers

Jean-Luc Sallustro
Directeur associé