[Digestion] High costs of biogass plants in Norway

JGBellHimself jgbellhimself at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 4 13:28:31 CST 2010

Alex, that below is both misleading and inaccurate.
And, are you primarily "selling" your services OR their product? We don't care,
but IF you are, you should state that.

Previously, we answered a researcher's question about information sources for AD
systems available to U.S. What we pointed out was that ONE (1) of the European
system was high temp and One (1) other was low temp. But, both were much more
efficient that the "RCM types" of lagoon digester systems. There is another
system, based in Olympia WA that is even more efficient than the either of the
two European systems.

What you forgot to say is that IF all you are looking for is the cheapest
system, and land size is no object, AND minimizing all of the other gas, liquid
and solid emissions are irrelevant to you - ie, quick and dirty is nice - then
lagoon AD systems will keep you happy. As you help destroy the planet. (Oh, yes,
we do know that is bit extreme, but Alex, more info is oft better than less,
inaccurate info) {and, yes, we are joking, sorta; so if offended, we apologize,
in advance}

Now, were were we..., what you also did NOT point out is that both European
systems are highly engineered to accomplish certain goals. The high temp system
is DESIGNED to produce the maximum usable gas output, while minimizing all of
the other AD problems. Not perfect, but a heck of a lot better then lagoon
systems.

The Olyberg system address more of the AD problems that the European ones, but
might not maximize certain outputs.

What you need to ask is what do we have available for source input? Which AD
system is the most efficient at processing that source? What do we primarily
want to get back out of our AD system - usable/salable gas? clean water?
fertilizer?

And, what do we NOT want to get back: smelly air, not very clean water, ammonia,
SO2, end-solids that are NOT usable and possibly toxic.

You must be aware that using AD on poop & urine from cows, and chicks, and geese
how they scurry..., and horses, pigs and littl bo' peep's lambs..., ends up
leaving you with some very interesting "product". In the U.S. commercial animals
are laced with antibiotics & pesticides.

All those wonderful little additives are NOT removed by lagoon systems. And,
many - too? - AD systems currently simply dump the dirty liquids and solids back
into the environment as if they have no impacts.

IF that means nothing to you - economically, environmentally, legally etc - then
the cheapest may be just your thing.

However, IF you know that there ARE other problems that you can, and should -
medically, legally, environmentally and economically - address, you might want
to look a little harder at the more efficient systems.

Alex, before you take off on me, please note that we ARE aware of the work being
done at WA State U, using funding from Paul Allen, to try to "clean up" lagoon
systems, like those in Whatcom County in WA state. Very good work, significant
progress. So, even your lagoons CAN be improved, substantially.

And, we are aware of all the lagoon systems that were studied, AND rejected, for
use in King & Snohomish Counties in WA.

But, even lagoon systems must be periodically "cleaned out". What you get and
what you do with it, are important considerations; in addition to all the other
AD problems that have been ignored.

Now, Alex..., my middle name is Grahame, and my last name is Bell...
so, try to go a skoshi bit easy on another wee/pee scottish laddy.