[Digestion] High costs of biogass plants in Norway

Alexander Eaton alex at sistemabiobolsa.com
Sat Dec 4 13:58:56 CST 2010

Sir,

Nothing I said below was misleading or inaccurate.  Lagoon digesters are
much less expensive than European tank digesters, and may be a viable option
if space is not an issue.  Period.  They should be integrated into a
treatment train that considers how solids and digestate are managed, such as
secondary and tertiary lagoons, that comply with environmental regulations,
sure.  The antibiotics and other issues is an upstream issue that should be
resolved, but has nothing inherently to do with lagoon digesters.  Also,
with full mixing capabilities, heat recycling, and regular maintenance that
removes solids, these systems are perhaps more advanced then lagoons you are
familiar with.

Certainly you would not argue that a lagoon digester is not better than
doing nothing?  "Nothing" is often the option that is chosen when potential
users see the high cost of tank digesters.  It should be noted that there
are additional options, such as lagoons.

Your message seems a bit contrary to the idea of this list, that
understanding all of the AD options is important.  Certainly, all systems
have pros and cons.  The con of thermophilic digesters are high costs, and
high maintenance and operation demands that place them outside of the budget
of many global operations.  That is a rather serious drawback, and can been
seen in some cases as the "ideal" (here, conceding high treatment rates,
etc.) getting in the way of the good (here, referring to lagoon digesters as
a good treatment systems that produces renewable energy and is accessible to
a wider population).

Also, I did mention that I had worked with them in the past, mostly thanks
to their help on public research projects.  I am not selling anything, as I
mentioned I could facilitate contact if that was appropriate.  Also, given
the fact that I run a non-profit effort to disseminate biogas systems to
marginalized populations in the developing world, attacking me personally
because environmental contamination "means nothing" to me rings a bit
hollow.  Your note seems inappropriate and hypocritical, especially given
that you do not use your real name and use a royal "we" that seems to
represents a business (or a crazy person with a sock puppet?).

Regards,

Alex

Alexander Eaton
Sistema Biobolsa