[Digestion] Help needed

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 18:39:56 CST 2010

Dear List Members,
 the effluent water from domestic septic tanks or from public sewage
treatment plants can be used for irrigation. One should not grow crops that
are eaten raw (e.g. lettuce). But one can grow crops like sugarcane for
sugar manufacture (not for drinking the juice), cotton, or just plain
timber. We ourselves had grown evergreen trees (Casuarina, Prosopis,
Dalbergia, Acacia and Eucalyptus) on about 2 hectares of land as a
demonstration by using the septic tank effluent from a newly constructed
residential area on the outskirts of our city.  In this way, instead of
spending money on effluent treatment, the municipality of a town can even
earn money by selling the timber. The rate of applying irrigation is such
that whatever is applied in the morning, is completely utilized by the
plants in the rest of the day. Stagnant water in the field causes fowl odour
and also offers mosquitos a place to breed. One can use the same principle
in the cas Next to the house, they make a soak pit into which the effluent
water from the household accumulates. They plant five tree species around
the soak pit. The pits fill up in the morning with waste water, but by the
evening, they are sucked dry by the trees surrounding them.
Yours
A.D.Karve

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 8:49 PM, Amy and Jim Rankin <ajrankin at hughes.net>wrote:

>  AD on the whole volume of sewerage is usually not economically appealing
> because of the construction costs to build a large AD plant and the lower
> yield of biogas per volume of plant capacity.  Where I have seen municipal
> waste water plants using anaerobic digestion for many years is on the
> settled sludge fraction.  This has the majority of the nutrients and occupys
> a much smaller volume than the sewerage as it comes out of the pipe.
>
> Jim

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)

*Please change my email address in your records to: adkarve at gmail.com *