[Digestion] Help needed

Voegeli, Yvonne Yvonne.Voegeli at eawag.ch
Thu Dec 9 09:49:04 CST 2010

Dear Kshanika Goonesekera,

Our studies in Nepal and India on biogas plants treating human faeces showed that not all pathogens get eliminated during the anaerobic mesophilic process. Please have a look at the two reports attached. The study in Nepal showed that the concentration of E.Coli is acceptable for restricted irrigation by WHO-standards, but helminth eggs were not completely eliminated.

Also the study from India (Kerala) shows that only restricted irrigation is recommended regarding the concentration of E.Coli and total Coliforms (see p.45). Unfortunately, we were not able to analyze helminth eggs or other pathogens in India.

In any case, it can not be guaranteed that the slurry is free of pathogens and safe to use as a fertilizer. See also our recommendations regarding how to use the effluent in a safe way.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Yvonne

°°°