[Digestion] FW: Biogas and CO2 equivalents

Randy Mott randymott at ceeres.eu
Tue Dec 21 06:35:51 CST 2010

You cannot simply use the methane destroyed to derive credits. You have to
demonstrate that the methane destroyed would have otherwise gone into the
atmosphere. So a 1 MW biogas plant that actually destroys 116,000 tons of
CO2 equivalents a year, will typically receive only about 20-40,000tons of
actual credit. There are elaborate formulas for this calculation .....

See http://cdm.unfccc.int/methodologies/index.html

Randy Mott
CEERES
Warsaw