[Digestion] FW: Biogas and CO2 equivalents

David david at h4c.org
Tue Dec 21 12:02:20 CST 2010

Friends,

On 12/21/2010 4:35 AM, Randy Mott wrote:
> You cannot simply use the methane destroyed to derive credits. You have to demonstrate that the methane destroyed would have otherwise gone into the atmosphere. So a 1 MW biogas plant that actually destroys 116,000 tons of CO2 equivalents a year, will typically receive only about 20-40,000 tons of actual credit. There are elaborate formulas for this calculation .....
>
> See http://cdm.unfccc.int/methodologies/index.html

To add to what Randy said, of course we all realize that carbon
credits are a very unusual currency, because they are based on what is
specifically not there. That is, one gains credit for CO2 equivalents
that are /not/ produced. Thus the question becomes "How does one
demonstrate that what has been done has resulted in a reduction in CO2
equivalent emissions?"

Ordinarily, then, the process is first to document the current
situation at some depth in specified ways. For example, one might
demonstrate that a certain amount of firewood and kerosene is being
used on a per capita basis through a given region for cooking and
lighting. Then one would need to demonstrate that some portion or all
of the firewood is "non-renewable biomass", NRB. (That is, for
example, the forests from which it comes are for the most part not
replanted nor do they regrow naturally, so the CO2 released when the
wood is burned is not being recaptured locally/regionally in new
forest biomass.) Assume, for example, that half the firewood is NRB.
In that case, half the CO2 released from burning wood for cooking can
be counted as emissions, and of course all the CO2 from the kerosene.

Then one postulates or provides a given number of biogas digesters to
those in the area of interest. Again using specified methods, one
would need to demonstrate that people have certain numbers of animals
of certain kinds, and thus taking into account the regional climate
and similar factors, each digester can be expected to produce a
certain amount of biogas, which will then in turn replace a certain
amount of firewood and kerosene for cooking and lighting. Based on
those surveys, methods, measures and calculations, one makes an
assertion about the amount of emissions avoided. To that figure,
depending, one might also add (as Randy indicated) methane emissions
avoided because an assumed (demonstrated) amount of dung or kitchen
waste or what-have-you is not going anaerobic "in the wild".

There is, likewise, considerable concern in the international
community about what is called "additionality". That means that where,
say, the credits are from the Clean Development Mechanism
<http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/news/article/2009/12/credit-where-credit-is-due-understanding-the-clean-development-mechanism>
(which apparently will continue beyond 2012, based on what happened in
Cancun), the UNFCCC wants to make sure that whatever is being proposed
to be done to reduce emissions could not otherwise be done without the
credits. To say it another way, where a project is self-sustaining
regardless, it cannot qualify for credits.

The processes established for producing credits are detailed, rigorous
and complex because the agency or organization must maintain
credibility. The only source of the value which the credits may
maintain derives from trust. If that trust is corroded, the associated
value is corroded. And second, the processes used may, to some, appear
bureaucratic, but here likewise there is good reason, which is that
everyone must be treated the same way, and so everyone must follow the
same process, even if that process is not well suited to the needs or
ideas of some applicants.

There are, as well, many different kinds of credits: UNFCCC provides
one kind, called a compliance credit, because it is produced under
international agreements supported by regulations in the country of
interest. There are also voluntary credits, perhaps the best of which
is the Gold Standard <http://www.cdmgoldstandard.org/>. (In fact, one
can apply for both CDM and Gold Standard, although this will not
result in having duplicated credits, although it will result in having
credits that are seen in some contexts as being more valuable.)

Finally, it would not make sense to apply for carbon credits on the
basis of one household digester. Like any similar process, the process
of applying for carbon credits has fixed and variable costs, and the
fixed costs of applying for carbon credits are substantial enough that
it would make little sense for a project developer to apply for them
where only a few credits will result. There are, likewise, minimums
that apply within the agencies and organizations that tender the credits.

Thus a single very (very) large digester may qualify, but when dealing
with digesters as small as household digesters, it will usually only
make sense to apply for credits if there are going to be a large
number of them. Carbon credits for biogas are a strategy useful where
a fairly large effort is being made, implying significant funding, a
sufficiently-sized organization on the ground and so on.

d.
--
David William House
"The Complete Biogas Handbook" |www.completebiogas.com|

"Make no search for water.       But find thirst,
And water from the very ground will burst."
(Rumi, a Persian mystic poet, quoted in /Delight of Hearts/, p. 77)

http://bahai.us/