[Digestion] Small digesters

frank frank at compostlab.com
Thu Nov 4 12:00:32 CDT 2010

A request from another group I am thinking someone from this group could reply.

Thanks
Frank

Dear List-Serve Fellows,

The non-profit I work for has been convinced for several years of the
pivotal importance of compost, and of the superiority of decentralized
approaches to organic waste processing (to minimize transportation
costs, energy use and emissions, and to maximize the appeal of
participation). We are open to organics processing that produces energy
as well as compost. However, we are concerned that the price tags of
most anaerobic digester may require a scale of operation that prohibits
decentralized approaches, and may place compost in a subordinate
position, at best.

Has anyone worked on, or does any know of, low-cost, small-scale
anaerobic digester systems -- rural and/or urban;

ones that may be better components, better partners, in a decentralized
strategy?

Thank you very much.

Nick Shorr

Regional Composting and Recycling Initiatives

Pennsylvania Resources Council

64 South 14th Street

Pittsburgh, PA 15203

(412) 488-7490 x232