[Digestion] Detergents/ Disinfectants

Amy and Jim Rankin ajrankin at hughes.net
Sat Nov 20 18:12:21 CST 2010

        Hello all,

        What soaps or disinfectants can be used with AD?  I am looking for something to use to disinfect my hog pens without killing the bacteria in my digester.  I am in the Philippines.

        Thanks in advance.

        Matt Lorig
        mattlorig at yahoo.com

  Hi Matt,

  Notwithstanding the earlier post about a chorine accident causing a huge problem, if you can clean the surfaces of all soil (manure, dirt, grease etc), chlorine solutions should be pretty safe since the chlorine is rapidly inactivated once it contacts soils.  It's effective on clean surfaces, but posesses very little residual activity.

  Other disinfectants like cresols, phenols etc that are more effective on not so clean surfaces will retain some activity on into the digester and may have some detrimental effect.

  Might be safer to divert the runoff from the disinfecting process away from the digester if at all possible, but the effect of dilution in the overwhelming amount of soil in the digester feed may bind enough of the active compounds to prevent a huge response.

  Jim

  James R Rankin, DVM
  Cedarcrest Farms, Inc
  Faunsdale, Alabama USA