[Digestion] Compressing of biogas

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 10:18:25 CST 2010

Dear Mr. Mott,
that is great news. A student from the British NGO Engineers Without Borders
said that I could fabricate a small gas turbine using a turbo charger from a
truck. So I went to the Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of
India with a request for money.We are already running internal combustion
engines on unpurified biogas (which contains carbon dioxide, hydrogen
sulphide and moisture). Therefore I thought that it may also be possible to
operate a gas turbine with the same kind of biogas. But just a few days ago
a panel of experts shot down my proposal of running a gas turbine on
unpurified biogas. They said that raw biogas cannot be used in a gas turbine
and that it has to be purified.  Since I am basically a biologist and not an
engineer, I had to accept what the panel members were saying and withdrew my
proposal.
Yours
A.D.Karve