[Digestion] Biogas Groups

David david at h4c.org
Tue Nov 30 16:55:09 CST 2010

Markus, Alex, all,

On 11/30/2010 1:13 PM, Markus Schlattmann wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> some other problems I just became aware of after thinking a few
> minutes about this translation issue:
> It may be a little bit complicated getting agreements for copying
> and translation (especially if this must be done with every single
> user of a list or a board) and giving source information.
> It also will be diffilcult managing the translation of replies to
> the original user in the language of the original posting.
> Direct private messages and requests to the original poster will
> nearly become impossible.

There is as well, the point on which both of you agree, which is that
automated translation is inadequate to the task. Artificial
intelligence is actually very little like the real thing.

But consider: translation done by a human would be prohibitively
expensive, and thus without the poor shadow that could be provided by
automated translation, these lists we are discussing (thanks to the
spark provided by Paul) would remain islands, largely isolated
excepting to the few (I speak as someone born in the US) who speak
more than one language with sufficient fluency that they can partake
in the original ("foreign") language.

Whereas, if automation is used, at least some portion of the
discussion can be transmitted more widely. This would, I think, be
novel and of wider interest-- perhaps even somewhat pioneering, or
visionary, a glimpse into a future unified world. Further, if, for
example, those joining the discussion in Spanish knew their words were
being translated and seen by a wider audience, it might encourage not
only more, but more earnest and thoughtful participation. (Based on
what you say, the Germans need no such catalyst!) There could as well
be other advantages.

Some of the issues you mention above could be addressed (although
perhaps awkwardly) if the translation were two-way.

As far as agreement from the participants to have their words
translated, that could be resolved when they signed up by asking them
not to agree, but to disagree, to actively say they did not want to be
translated. If an existing list were "converted" to translation, the
issue could be handled similarly: open the discussion, and if it were
a comfortable thought for "enough" of the participants, allow opting
out, rather than seeking active agreement.

The core difficulty would be the expense of setting something up a
list or software system which could accommodate the implied options:
tracking and not translating those who had opted out, handling
individual-to-individual translated responses, and of course selecting
and integrating an automated-- free!-- translation service
(Babelfish/Yahoo? Translate.Google?). No doubt my list of problems is
anemic, but the point remains that there would be challenges.

Alex indicates that some funds are available, but they may be
inadequate to the task, excepting if further sponsorship could be
found. Could one gain interest from one of the services that do
automated translation? It might be newsworthy and therefore of some
value to them for the PR...

Mind you, I have no idea whether the litany of problems might be
addressed and overcome, but I thought an alternative look at the issue
might be of interest.

d.
--
David William House
"The Complete Biogas Handbook" |www.completebiogas.com|

"Make no search for water.       But find thirst,
And water from the very ground will burst."
(Rumi, a Persian mystic poet, quoted in /Delight of Hearts/, p. 77)

http://bahai.us/