[Digestion] Cross Language Linking (was RE: Biogas Groups)

Markus Schlattmann firmen at schlattmann.de
Tue Nov 30 18:16:42 CST 2010

Hi Paul and Al,

> I guess one approach is for individuals to use website translators to
> look at the archives to get an idea of what is going on, so that it
> then becomes their task/responsibility to chase up bits that don’t
> translate (hopefully interesting bits, and possibly translation
> problems, would be transferred across). This raises the question about
> differences between translation tools? I, like David, am monolingual
> so my test would be to start with something in English, translate to
> Spanish (or whatever) then translate back again to see how it compared
> to the original using the various translation options (I guess I can
> try it on “The Beginners Guide” above!).

Yes, I can see in my log files that the google translator already is
used for my german pages for example.

I think it would be quite easy to write a program getting a content from
a website, passing it to the translator and storing the translation in a
database to display the result on a website.

Regarding the quality I must say: I did my "Summary"-chapter of my PhD
with google. It had to be done quickly, since I had a deadline and
anything else was finished, but the summary in English language still
was missing. The translator delivered almost a word-by-word translation.
It was even worse than my writings here, I think! ;-) I made a quick
correction, but I'm not very proud of it. Now it's under review...we
will see...

I think someone may get the general sense using the translator, but in
detail there's a big lack. Especially if you have information on legal
or health stuff this should not be used.

Translating and translating back would be indeed a good idea for seeing
how much the result differs from the original.

Markus

--------------------------------------
schlattmann sustainables
schlattmann.de

Dipl.-Ing. agr. Markus Schlattmann
Grünseiboldsdorfer Weg 5
85416 Langenbach

Tel.: +49 (0)8761 72162-60
Fax.: +49 (0)8761 72162-61

E-Mail: firmen at schlattmann de
Web:www.schlattmann.de
-------------------------------------

Die Informationen in dieser E-Mail und im Anhang sind vertraulich und
nur für den/die benannten Empfänger bestimmt. Öffnen, Nutzen oder
Verbreiten durch unautorisierte Personen ist untersagt. Falls Sie nicht
der Empfänger oder eine entsprechend autorisierte Person sind,
informieren Sie bitte den Absender und vernichten Sie die Nachricht.

The information in this email and in any attachment is confidential and
intended only for the attention and use of the recipient(s) as
addressed. It must not be disclosed, used or disseminated by any
unauthorized person. If you are not the intended recipient or
accordingly authorized, please contact the sender and delete the
message.