[Digestion] Attachment to previous Article - More scientific based research and questions

Alexander Eaton alex at sistemabiobolsa.com
Wed Oct 6 18:00:46 CDT 2010

Hi Dr. Karve,

I recently had the pleasure of meeting your associate and representative for
Tanzania at a conference in Sweden.  He explained much of the same thing
about the ARTI system.  When you describe your system as primarily a biogas
generation system (as opposed to waste treatment), do you mean that you
optimize HRT and loading rates for biogas production, rather than balancing
biogas production with the reduction of organic load (TOC or COD?).
Reviewing the plans of your systems, it does not seem as though the vessel
itself holds massive differences with any other AD reactor, so can we assume
that this is a management practice, versus technology comparison?

Best,

Alex

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Anand Karve <adkarve at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> most efficient biogas system in the world. Scientists of a prestigeous
> Institute of the Government of India had come to us to have a look at our
> biogas system, because using the same amount of waste, our system
> produced 10 times as much biogas as the two phase system developed by them.
> The report submitted by them to their bosses explained the difference in the
> performance of the two systems being due to the fact that their system was
> primarily a waste disposal system, whereas ours was primarily a biogas
> generating system. So far, we have installed about 5000 such biogas plants
> all over India and also about 50 on the African continent.
> Yours
> A.D.Karve
>
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 2:47 AM, Alexander Eaton <alex at sistemabiobolsa.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Dr. Karve:
>>
>> A small point, your energy conversion from gas volume to kW needs to be
>> modified.  Either the gas volume needs to be presented in a daily rate,
>> which therefore can be converted to power potential (kW, meaning X kW over
>> the 24 hours of a day), or you need to convert a volume of biogas into kWh,
>> a unit of energy.  This is important, as I am very interested in your post,
>> but it does not make sense as stated, and the two possible options are very
>> different.  I THINK you mean that 0.8 m3 of biogas can generate 1 kWh of
>> electricity (provide 1 kW of power for 1 hour).  Is this correct?
>>
>> Also, the discrepancy between house values could be a US to the Rest of
>> the World translation: the average US household uses 11,040 kWh annually, an
>> average of 920 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per month, or about 30 kWh per day.
>> That would means that by your calculation the food waste mentioned would
>> generate enough electricity for 80 homes in the US, or more than 3 times the
>> estimate in the article.  I think there may be something lost in
>> translation?  What do you think?  Could it be that the ARTI system can
>> produce 3 times the amount of energy as other food waste digesters?  Or are
>> you not taking the energy conversion in an internal combustion engine into
>> account, which would cut the raw energy value by about 3 times when
>> converting to electricity?
>>
>> Best,

>> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 6:47 PM, Anand Karve <adkarve at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Hooroo,
>>> our ARTI biogas system produces about 800 litres or 0.8 cubic
>>> meters biogas from 1 kg (dry weight) of food waste. It takes about 500
>>> litres (0.5 cubic m) to generate one kW electricity, if one uses an internal
>>> combustion engine to drive the generator.  The article reproduced by you
>>> says that 3 tons of food waste produces enough power to provide electricity
>>> to 25 houses for a day. Assuming that the food waste mentioned in the
>>> article has about 50% water, the three tons are reduced to a dry weight of
>>> 1.5 tons, which would produce, in a single phase ARTI biogas plant, about
>>> 1,200,000 litres or 1200 cubic meters of biogas, enough to generate about

alex at sistemabiobolsa.com
alexanderb.eaton at gmail.com
sistemabiobolsa.com
www.irrimexico.org