[Digestion] Dry fermentation in developing countries

David david at h4c.org
Thu Oct 28 11:22:43 CDT 2010

Yvonne,

On 10/28/2010 1:53 AM, Voegeli, Yvonne wrote:
> After visiting a Bekon biogas plant in Switzerland, I'm especially
> concerned regarding the opening of the digester for emptying and
> refilling. Before opening the door, the digester has to be vented in
> order to avoid a gas-air-mixture which is explosive. This
> installation seems to me rather complicated....
>
> ...Is it possible to install a simpler venting system?

I would venture a guess that where the inlet air is being forced in by
bubbling through water, and the outlet air likewise is allowed to
escape by bubbling through water, then the only place in the system
where there would be both a potentially explosive gas mixture and the
potential of a spark would be at the evacuation point of the exiting
gas mixture. Where sufficient air is blown over the water through
which the evacuating air is exiting, then the risk of any explosion
would, I would think, be very close to zero.

d.
--
David William House
"The Complete Biogas Handbook" |www.completebiogas.com|

"Make no search for water.       But find thirst,
And water from the very ground will burst."
(Rumi, a Persian mystic poet, quoted in /Delight of Hearts/, p. 77)

http://bahai.us/