[Digestion] Costs of different household biodigesters

David david at h4c.org
Wed Sep 29 01:08:18 CDT 2010

Alex,

On 9/28/2010 8:55 PM, Alexander Eaton wrote:
> Hi david,
>
> For whom is the .75 m3 designed?  What feedstock or waste stream makes
> sense at such a small size?  I understand that even the arti folks
> found a functional floor at about twice that size.

It's a pico- or femto-sized digester (or more accurately digester
kit), to be sure. My purpose in making it is to illustrate some
manufacturing/construction techniques for the workshops, and in a
larger context, to make progress on very, very low cost designs. I'll
probably be posting more about this as things advance, but as yet they
are in a very early state, as my message implied.

I would imagine that most folks would be feeding it kitchen wastes and
similar, and the possibility exists that it could provide much or even
all one's cooking fuel, in the proper circumstances. (That is, if we
assume that a digester using this kit, kept at body temp, can produce
1 vol biogas per vol digester per day, then we come into the range
often quoted for cooking fuel needs for a small family: 0.75 cu m/day.)

I call it a kit because it needs to be provided with a shelter, etc.,
or to put it another way, it is not a complete digester /system/. Thus
I would also highlight the point you made, that the price I quote does
not include gas collection, nor a stove, etc. and in that regard would
not be directly comparable to some other prices quoted in response to
the Ivo's question.

d.
--
David William House
"The Complete Biogas Handbook" |www.completebiogas.com|

"Make no search for water.       But find thirst,
And water from the very ground will burst."
(Rumi, a Persian mystic poet, quoted in /Delight of Hearts/, p. 77)

http://bahai.us/