[Digestion] Digestate comparison to liquid worm castings (Alexander Eaton)

davidf@kingdombio.co.uk Fulford davidf at kingdombio.co.uk
Sun Dec 4 10:12:05 CST 2011

Matt, Hello,

SKG Sagha and VK-NARDEP are both Ashden award winners (see their entries
under www.ashden.org - winners) who use vermi-composting of bogas plant
effluent. I am working with SKG Sangha, who sell biogas units to local
farmers in South India which use cattle dung as a feed. The liquid effluent
is mixed with dry biomass (straw, grass, dead leaves etc) and composted.
The compost is then put in rectangular containers with worms. The women
scrape of the worm casts each day. They keep the rest of the compost moist
and covered from the sun.

The worm castes are dried and bagged. Richer people from Bangalore are
willing to pay up to $1000 a tonne for the compost in the Indian equivalent
of a garden centre to use in their own gardens.

So you are not wasting your time: you are onto a winning approach. The dry
biomass absorbes the nitrogen, which is lost if the wet slutty is dried, as
you suggest.

Best wishes,

David Fulford