[Digestion] 250kW hot water biogas boiler

Alexander Eaton alex at sistemabiobolsa.com
Fri Jan 7 11:08:45 CST 2011

It would make sens to start with biogas production.  Is there enough?  Back
of the envelope, I think you would need about 800-1000 m3 of biogas daily to
supply the heating need you described.  The modifications needed to a
propane appliance would be a new burner, gas line and likely a gas blower,
since the propane system relied on the pressure inside the propane tanks.
Otherwise, you should be able to use all the rest of the structure and
plumbing of the old boiler.  I usually suggest adding a second burner that
can work without removing the old burner (or figuring out a very quick and
efficient changing method), so in case there is no biogas for a few days
(cleaning, maintenance, etc.), the appliance can still run on propane.  The
economics of this switch, providing the biogas is available, are very good.

Best,

Alexander Eaton
Sistema Biobolsa
IRRI-Mexico