[Digestion] Biogas conversation rates

Franssen, Loe (Alumni) LLC.Franssen at alumni.maastrichtuniversity.nl
Wed Jan 12 07:52:30 CST 2011

Dear biogas experts,
I am a 22 year old student from the Maastricht University where I am doing a bachelor in International Business. I am currently doing an internship for a Dutch biogas company that is planning to sell systems in East Africa. I am developing a huge mathematical model that calculates - among other things - how big (m³) a digester should be for those households. I want to determine this on the basis of the kilo’s of charcoal and firewood and liters of kerosene they already use and also on the basis of cooking time and lighting hours. After studying several articles from GTZ, SNV, and master or Phd. students’ reports I came to the following conversion rates and I was hoping you guys could give your opinion on it.

Source

Charcoal (kg) >> Gas (l)

500

GTZ article Biogas digest volume 1<http://www.gtz.de/de/dokumente/en-biogas-volume1.pdf>
GTZ article Biogas digest volume 1

firewood (kg) >> Gas (l)

200

Kerosene (l) >> Gas (l)

1600

   link 1<http://www.shvoong.com/humanities/1957301-biogas-making-technique-simplified/>

link 2<http://www.inseda.org/Presentation/Biogas-the%20future%20Sustainable%20Energy-Fr%20Mathew.pdf>

link 3<http://www.eplantscience.com/index_files/biotechnology/Biotechnology%20and%20environment/Biomass%20Energy%20(Bio-energy)/biotech_bio-energy_gaseous_fuels.php>

Cooking (hrs) >> Gas (l)

300

Lighting (hrs) >> Gas (l)

70

SNVworld.org link4<http://www.snvworld.org/en/Documents/Biogas_stoves_and_lamps_test_report_2009.pdf>

I am particularly concerned about the conversion rate from liters of kerosene to liters of biogas. The results I found online don’t seem to be very constant. I tried to do some calculations myself but I have no idea how to calculate this (my background is (micro-) finance) so I was hoping you could shed some lights on these numbers!!
Kind regards,
Loe Franssen Maastricht University student