[Digestion] Digestion Digest, Vol 5, Issue 10

finstein at envsci.rutgers.edu finstein at envsci.rutgers.edu
Sun Jan 16 15:37:50 CST 2011

All,

Re: CSTR at Beltsville

Historically, CSTR was designed based on aerobic thinking before it was
understood that the microbiology of aerobic and anaerobic (methanogenic)
systems are entirely different. It is now understood that to realize
maximal rates of treatment one must preserve the integrity of microbial
associations rather than smash them apart - as in CSTR. I'd include here
the URL to a brief publication summarizing a rather involved - but very
well established - story, but believe such inclusions get weeded out by
the list serve. You may contact me if interested.

The best to All,

Mel Finstein

Melvin S. Finstein, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus of Environmental Science

105 Carmel Road
Wheeling, WV 26003
(304) 242-0341
Email: finstein at envsci.rutgers.edu