[Digestion] Biogas conversation rates

bingham bingham at zekes.com
Wed Jan 19 14:04:29 CST 2011

We fully support AD and it is efficient in many applications where energy options are limited. I challenge you on your
statement "Anaerobic Digestions and the AD industry, which is currently undermined by artificially cheap fossil fuel production and use (not a political statement)".  I believe it IS a political statement. Fossil fuel sits in the ground and is FREE as is. You cannot make free any cheaper.
Who is the judge of what is wasteful energy use? I believe assuming energy use in the industrialized world is wasteful ,is political.

We put our first AD unit in place in 1963 as a way to lower the odor from one of our hog operations. It took almost
20 years for it to pay back just its initial construction costs, using the cost of the LP Gas (Propane) it replaced. Our
accountant said it never actually paid back its true cost because of the cost to operate,and maintain the AD unit. Much less
the cost to convert all of the buildings over to the lower grade gas. Based on this it was never cost effective or efficient.

Our next AD units  were used prefabricated fiber glass tanks at a different location. The payback was faster and the process design was different.
I agree "AD is an incredible renewable energy source, but one that should teach us to value energy and inherently become champions of energy efficiency and conservation.". It would seem we differ in our definition of "energy efficiency and conservation" and several of the
items listed below.

artificially cheap fossil fuel ???? Fossil fuel sits in the ground and is free as is. How can free be artificially cheap?

wasteful use of non-renewable energy???? How do you define wasteful? Using too large of a light bulb, when the person you
compare them too has no electricity?

opportunities for efficiency ????? Is energy efficiency relative to the circumstance in which it is used or is it universal?

industrialized agricultural as the most efficient???? How would you define it? I can grow food in my back yard and it is almost
free.

exporting massive amounts of subsidized grains????The only subsidy our farm receives is for the cotton ground that is set out
and not farmed. We receive no government money for the grain and hay we sell.

subsidized grains....under cut the production of corn ???? I would like to see the evidence of a subsidized grain effecting the
production of corn in a third world setting. Most third world farmers, only cost, is the seed. Rain is free and the grass is free, to feed
there beasts of burden is free. They do not use energy.

massive imbalance of energy use???? How can a subsistence farmer living off grid, that barley feeds himself, be fairly compared to
a farmer living on the grid that can cultivate 100 to 200+++ acres per day?

Brent