[Digestion] Small Scale Remote Biogas Monitoring

Edward Matos edward.matos at shambatechnologies.com
Fri Jan 21 09:24:36 CST 2011

Hi Alex,

We have developed this exact device for use in monitoring and testing the
performance of a small-scale biodigesters.

We use a physical computing platform called the "Seeeduino Stalker", that
detects up to 6 analog voltage readings and logs these onto an SD card. It
is also fairly simple to attach the components to send out the data via GSM,
though admittedly we haven't actually tried this yet. Our prototypes run off
a rechargeable battery making them a suitable solution for remote testing in
rural environments.

You can attach whatever low cost sensors you like to the analog readers,
including temperature sensors, solar intensity sensors, proximity sensors
(great for measuring gas reserve volume in floating drum designs), pressure
sensors (great for measuring gas reserve volume in expansion chamber
designs), and flow rate sensors. As you pointed out, there are no low cost
flow meters available on the market, much less ones which are compatible
with dirty biogas, which is why we developed our own! Our prototype uses a
super low cost solution to get a biogas flow rate reading every 5 seconds -
consistently accurate to within 5%.

We are currently making final improvements to the module before implementing
them on 100 Tanzanian small-scale biodigesters later this year. Initially we
did not intend to scale up our manufacturing capability to supply anything
other than our own needs as we did not think there would be much market
demand for such a product. However if we can be persuaded otherwise then we
would be happy to put the effort in to cater for this market need. If you
(and/or anyone else on this forum) would be interested in such a product
then please let me know (off this mailing list would probably be most
appropriate) how many units you would need and by when and we can see how we
might be able to help you. I cannot say anything of the cost (except that it
will be "low-cost"!) but if your order quantity would vary depending on the
cost then please include this for us to be able to gauge feasibility
effectively. Also, please specify whether you would just be interested in
the flow rate sensor (requires some C++ and electronics knowledge to
implement) or whether you would prefer a whole user-friendly package with
all the above sensors included.

Feel free to contact me on any of the details below.

Best regards,

Ed

_______________________________________
Edward Matos
MEng (Hons.), AMIMechE, Hon.MSEE

Director

Shamba Technologies Ltd.

Email: edward.matos at shambatechnologies.com
Web: http://www.shambatechnologies.com <http://www.shambatechnologies.com/>
Mobile UK: +44(0) 755 2811 646

Mobile TZ: +255(0) 686 128 037

Skype: shamba_technologies

Shamba Technologies Limited is a company registered in England and Wales

Company Registration No:  7094993

Registered Office: 2nd Floor, 145-157 St John Street, London, EC1V 4PY,
England