[Digestion] Small Scale Remote Biogas Monitoring

Alexander Eaton alex at sistemabiobolsa.com
Thu Jan 20 18:30:38 CST 2011

If you could only monitor two or three things in a small scale system in
order to determine gas flow and methane destruction from a small
biodigester, what would it be?  Keep in mind low (ish) cost, and remote
locations.

We are considering data logging thermocouples that would show
presence/absence of a biogas flame across a time period.  We would then
compare that to measured flow rates.  We have also considered monitoring
internal digester temperature, so that with known waste input, we could
calculate biogas production.  We are testing so low cost flow meters, but
they are still relatively expensive, and have yet to pass the durability
test with biogas at this setting.  We are also looking a difference
platforms, from data loggers to GSM remote monitoring systems that transmit
data.  Does anyone have any low cost systems like this that could be
used/adjusted for biogas?  Something fro remote monitroing of efficient wood
stoves, for example, may translate.  The goal is monitoring sample systems
in a larger population to improve carbon reduction estimates.  We would be
using very conservative multipliers to incorporate a large population, so
the accuracy could be slightly sacrificed for robust measurements from a low
cost system.

Best,

Alexander Eaton
Sistema Biobolsa