[Digestion] Biogas meter

David david at h4c.org
Wed Jan 26 21:22:19 CST 2011

Alex, all,

On 1/26/2011 9:26 AM, Alexander Eaton wrote:
> Freddy,
>
> We have used a diaphragm meter made here (Elster, BK-G 1.6), and
> they seem to available in other places as they were recently shown
> to work on a biogas project (small scale) in Peru.  This systems has
> a combination of latex and plastic components that are in contact
> with the gas to avoid corrosion.  We were able to get good results
> below the rated pressure, but at one point I was able to keep a
> flame lit, without the gas registering on the meter.  That was at
> about 5-10 mm of water column, very very low.  This systems costs
> about $40 US.

A web page about the Elster meter is found here
<http://www.elster-instromet.com/en/309.html>, and a data sheet here
<http://www.minerva-intra.com/pdfs/fluid/BK-G1.6%20-%204.pdf>.

Also, I have put a section about meters from a report, generated for a
client, on my consulting site, here
<http://www.vahidbiogas.com/output-measurement-portable.html>. (The
whole report is regarding a design and use protocol for a portable
substrate testing unit.) I don't think that the information in the
posted excerpt will come as much surprise to anyone on this list, but
there are a number of good links (more than 20) to various gas meters
and related equipment, so I thought I would offer it.

One meter in particular which might be mentioned is the wet tip gas
meter, the patent for which is found here
<http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=M5c8AAAAEBAJ&dq=intitle:gas+ininventor:Speece&as_drrb_ap=q&as_minm_ap=0&as_miny_ap=&as_maxm_ap=0&as_maxy_ap=&as_drrb_is=q&as_minm_is=0&as_miny_is=&as_maxm_is=0&as_maxy_is=&num=100>.
Whereas the system previously described on the list (if I understood
correctly) relied on recording variable voltage, a meter such as this
one can provide output to a device even less expensive (a simple
battery-operated counter), because it provides a pulse via a
magnetically actuated reed switch each time it fills and trips. This
wet tip meter actually uses the same idea as the MilliGascounter unit,
linked in the excerpt as posted. (Please let me know if you find any
errors or obsolete links.)

Tipping meters can be made in a wide variety of ways, and, if well
designed, can be very accurate across a wide range of production rates.

d.
--
David William House
"The Complete Biogas Handbook" |www.completebiogas.com|

"Make no search for water.       But find thirst,
And water from the very ground will burst."
(Rumi, a Persian mystic poet, quoted in /Delight of Hearts/, p. 77)

http://bahai.us/