[Digestion] pathogens which might create a health hazard

Alexander Eaton alex at sistemabiobolsa.com
Wed Jul 13 15:54:24 CDT 2011

Just to add a dimension to this conversation, are the true risks of
pathogens in the digester effluent so high as to justify pasteurization?  I
understand that the majority of the microbiotic activity in effluent to be a
positive addition to the soil.  I ask because so many government officials
seem to fixate on this point, when I have not really seen data that shows
high enough probability of dangerous pathogens to justify extreme measures.
The smallish risk seems reasonable for the benefits of a more living organic
fertilizers.  Obviously the input material has a lot to do with this aspect,
but generally I am interested to hear responses.

Cheers

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Johan Carels <carelsjohan at telenet.be>wrote:

> Dear Johan,****
>
> Regarding  “pathogens which might create a health hazard. There are
> reports on pathogens for man, animal, and plant, which might survive the
> biogas process. As  the input material of any biogas plant which is not
> operated on a farm level may contain many different types of pathogens you
> may accumulate these germs even if they are in a low number in the
> digestate.”****
>
> ** **
>
> Suggest to pasturise  ( heating at 70°C during 60 minutes)  all the
> digestate since you hav e this heat available from the cogenerater [cooling
> water, turbocooling, exhaust gase-heat]. This will kill all pathogens.****
>
> ** **
>
> K rgds****
>
> Johan Carels****