[Digestion] Environmentalists Anti-AD Issues

Alexander Eaton alex at sistemabiobolsa.com
Wed Jun 15 17:42:09 CDT 2011

I agree with James strongly at this point.  As an the AD industry, I think
it is important to note that most of the environmental concerns that people
have regarding AD generally have to deal with the original waste stream (eg
the arsenic) or downstream management (eg overloading digestate on fields),
not specifically the AD process.  It does not seem reasonable that we are
given responsibility to rehabilitate all of the industrial and ag processes
that we provide a strong treatment solution for.  We are a small piece of
the solution, but cannot be considered a silver bullet for all environmental
problems surrounding ag and industry.  We should think of a little manifesto
that helps make that more clear.

In areas where AD may have some negative effects (rumored bacteria increases
or high NOX levels form biogas motors), I think we should be diligent, but
we should have a strong stance on these types of issues to that
environmentalists (knitting their own yogurt, classic) do not through us out
in the proverbial bathwater.

Cheers

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 3:21 PM, James Fidell <james at fidell.co.uk> wrote:

> On 15/06/11 18:15, Edgar Blanco-Madrigal wrote:
>
>  Not surprising that an interest group from America subtly tries to
>> create a concern to serve its own purpose, rather than to address a
>> serious issue. This is well in keep with the folks that ban the
>> teaching of Darwinian principles, "pro-life" taliban campainers and
>> the like. How can you call serious a comment that only references its
>> own propaganda to back its arguments?!
>>

> That arsenic ends up in the soil (and presumably therefore eventually
> gets into the water supply) as a result of spreading manure from
> chickens fed arsenic-based growth promoters doesn't appear to be a
> particularly contentious point as far as I can tell from the research
> I've been able to find on the net this evening, and that's after
> filtering out anything clearly written by people who knit their own
> yoghurt.
>
> However, if manure destined to be spread on soil is first put through
> an AD system and the spent digestate then spread, I'm not sure what
> relevance the entire arsenic issue has to the AD process.  Either it's
> there and will end up in the soil either way, or it isn't and won't.
>
> James

Alexander Eaton
Sistema Biobolsa
IRRI-Mexico