[Digestion] Environmentalists Anti-AD Issues

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 10:12:42 CDT 2011

Dear Steven,
All living beings convert their food through a chain of biochemical
reactions into carbon  dioxide, water, and some other chemical
components. The energy that is released in the process is used by them
for their own metabolism. The penultimate link in this chain of
chemical reactions produces acetic acid. In the case of organisms
breathing oxygen, the acetic acid reacts with oxygen and gets
converted into carbon dioxide and water. Under anaerobic conditions,
the acetic acid is not oxidised and under these circumstances, the
methanogenic organisms convert the acetic acid into methane and carbon
dioxide. Nitrogen in the food is generally in the form of amines,
amino acids or proteins. These substances get converted into methane
plus carbon dioxide plus ammonia.
Yours
A.D.Karve