[Digestion] density of methane and bottling

Alexander Eaton alex at sistemabiobolsa.com
Thu Mar 31 14:06:43 CDT 2011

The IPCC uses 0.67 kg of CH4/M3 CH4 as a standard density conversion.  So
basically, use the volume of biogas total (e.g 1000 m3), multiplied by the %
CH4 (e.g. 65%), and then multiple by the density converter (0.67
kgCH4/m3CH4).  Paul used .628 and 70% CH4 (as there are plenty of variations
in these numbers), so: 1000*.7*.628 = 440 kg.

Best Regards,

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 9:11 AM, Murali Krishna <bmkrishna6 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Good day Paul,
>
> Thank you for your prompt reply.
>
> How have you arrived at 440 kg weight from 700 m3 of methane? Will you
> please elaborate?
>
> Regards,
>
> Krishna
>

> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 3:52 PM, Paul Harris <paul.harris at adelaide.edu.au>wrote:
>
>>  G’day Krishna,
>>

>> I think the different figures are for different pressures and/or
>> temperatures, as conventions vary. I have a value of 0.628 kg/m3 at 1.103
>> kPa and 20C, so 1000 m3 of biogas will become 737 cubic metres of 95%
>> methane. Ignoring the CO2 will give 700 m3 of methane, weighing about 440
>> kg. This will be the mass whatever the pressure (unless you have a leak!).
>> At 180 bar the volume will be approximately 4 cubic metres (at 20C).
>>

>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> HOOROO
>>

>> Mr. Paul Harris, Room 202 Charles Hawker Building, Faculty of Sciences,
>> The  University of Adelaide, Waite Campus, PMB 1, Glen Osmond SA 5064 Ph
>> : +61 8 8303 7880      Fax   : +61 8 8303 4386
>> mailto:paul.harris at adelaide.edu.au <paul.harris at adelaide.edu.au>
>> http://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/paul.harris
>>

>> CRICOS Provider Number 00123M
>>
>> This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
>> information that may be confidential and/or copyright.  If you are not the
>> intended recipient please notify the sender by reply email and immediately
>> delete this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this email by anyone
>> other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. No
>> representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of
>> viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the
>> recipient.

Alexander Eaton
Sistema Biobolsa
IRRI-Mexico