[Digestion] Poultry Manure - Layers - Answer to Marina

T-ReX terrence.sauve at gmail.com
Thu May 5 14:47:18 CDT 2011

Hello Manina,
To add on to Randy's comments, poultry AD is indeed problematic at the
feasibility stage.
The amounts of protein in the manure is an issue. It will lead to high
ammonia. You need a good source of off-farm materials, like grease trap
waste. That might be difficult depending on where you are.
Secondly, you will have to plan for digestate storage. I dont know what
manure collection system you are using. Its harder to answer you correctly.
As Randy indicated, for broilers, its more difficult, as you have packed bed
manure and have to store the manure in another building.
The biggest problem with layer manure is the calcium carbonate supplements
and the grit fed in the ration of the layers. They end up in the digester,
clog pipes, break pumps, from struvite, etc.... You need a pre-treatment
system that makes the system pretty costly and complicated. Unfortunately, I
am not aware of any system that runs on layer manure. I've been tracking
projects, but most of them were for broiler manure.