[Digestion] biogas electricity generation

Alexander Eaton alex at sistemabiobolsa.com
Mon May 9 23:03:04 CDT 2011

Dear Jorge,

Almost any equipment that produces electricity can be connected to the grid
with the proper equipment, however the grid managers are concerned that you
have the right voltage, frequency, sine wave and that you have an automatic
transfer switch so that you will not continue to put power into the grid
when it goes down.  For this, you can get grid interconnect synchroscope
that "cleans-up" the power that comes out of your device, and that will
automatically shut down if the grid goes (the scenario in which someone
working on a line thinking that the grid is down and then gets shocked by
the power you continue to put in is what utilities want to avoid).  Try
Lactronics, SMA, or Xantrex or anyone that makes inverters or rectifiers.
Also, without this device, as long as the generator you are using is decent
and producing the same voltage as is delivered to you, it is probably
producing better power quality than the Costa Rican grid.  In theory, you
can just hook your generator into existing lines, and if you have an
analouge power meter, and you are producing more power than you are using,
you will make the meter spin back.  Not suggesting this, just illustrating
that connecting to the grid is really not too hard.

The other hurdle more challenging than the technical part is likely going to
be getting the power company to sign on...

Best,

Alexander Eaton
Sistema Biobolsa
IRRI-Mexico