[Digestion] Solar Heated Batch Bladder Digester for Poultry

Paul Harris paul.harris at adelaide.edu.au
Sun May 22 21:09:00 CDT 2011

G'day Steven,

Welcome to the list!

I suggest you start your small unit and use that to see/learn what goes on
and how the system works. You will need sludge from an existing digester
(the local sewage works?) or fresh cow manure as a starting inoculum, but
once you have an operating digester the best inoculum is your own sludge.
There is a trade off, as the more inoculum you add the faster the start-up
will be BUT you will get less fresh manure in a given size digester (or you
need a larger digester for the same amount of feed). The minimum inoculum
seems to be about 10% but you can go to 50% or even more (which might be a
good idea for your first trials).

Have you seen the U-Tube video by Shelby Tyne, who is digesting chicken
manure in batch units, at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCJyyA8LlnY?

Happy digesting,
HOOROO

Mr. Paul Harris, Room 202 Charles Hawker Building, Faculty of Sciences, The
University of Adelaide, Waite Campus, PMB 1, Glen Osmond SA 5064 Ph    : +61
8 8303 7880      Fax   : +61 8 8303 4386
mailto:paul.harris at adelaide.edu.au
http://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/paul.harris

CRICOS Provider Number 00123M
This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information that may be confidential and/or copyright.  If you are not the
intended recipient please notify the sender by reply email and immediately
delete this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this email by anyone
other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. No
representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of
viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the
recipient.